Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Driver in Training

I thought this was pretty cute! We were waiting for the kids to finish basketball and hanging out in the van. Gid loves to push all the buttons and check out all the knobs, and then he discovered just how much fun the steering wheel can be!




Also, along the same driving theme, Matt and I made CO2 cars for a recent church party! It took a fair bit of time, especially for me since Matt TOTALLY hogged the dremmel-tool! Picture this...I enter the garage and Matt is wearing safety-goggles, headphones, and his car is neatly clamped into a vice. He is holding the shop-vac in one hand and operating the Dremmel-tool with the other. It was quite the system! The conversation went something like this "Lace, you can use that sandpaper, or that spongy sanding block, or even the belt sander!" I shot him an incredulous look to which he responded with a "What?"  Hmm, let's see what's missing from this picture...No goggles for me? No headphones? No Vice? No vaccuum? No Dremmel? No NOTHING! And he wonders why I gave him "THE LOOK".
Anyhow, as the good and patient spouse that I am, I sat down and proceeded to hand-sand my car until my arms were ready to give up. Finally Matt put down the Dremmel and I quickly siezed it. As I used it he looked over with surprise and said "Hey! You're pretty good at that!" I replied with " Maybe it's all that Dental Assisting I did years ago...remember, I used to make temporary teeth!" Duh!
Then Matt gets this brilliant idea to use the hand-held belt sander to shape his car and he wants me to hold it still for him - upside-down. I immediately pictured everything that could go wrong. I saw his hand being sanded off, the sander flipping and attacking, I even pictured my hands being eaten alive. What I didn't picture was his car catching on the belt and flying up into the air with such a velocity that by the time it had hit me in the eye it had already ricoched across the garage! And where were MY safety goggles? Matt sheepishly handed me a pair, and I put them on for a few minutes only to remove them. After all, What are the chances of that happening twice? Right?
At the races, Matt was so excited and animated that he kept me entertained almost more than the ensuing race! I kept laughing at him as he bounced around the track in his new shoes...
the Vibram FiveFingers! (Which he couldn't stop talking about might I add!)

You can see Matt wearing his new shoes in this pic!

Here is the secret to success...hidden wheels!
Matt's car only got to third place but it was all a conspiracy! He had to race on the slow track twice!

My car didn't win at all, but it was the most sparkly! Next year I'm going for style and function, not just killer style!


Oh, and here's a picture of Will for laughs! He fell asleep while playing piano the other night! Awww!
Ha Ha Ha!

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE that picture of Gid! And holy cow! Your kids sure can fall asleep anywhere! That position Will was in looks so uncomfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I can't get enough of Gideon, what a cutie cute! You had me in stitches with your story about those cars, sorry about your eye but that was really funny and well written! Usually I love all of Matt's clothes, even Jake is like 'stop liking Matt's style' but the only thing is that those shoes look like feet and I'm scared of feet! Your car does look great by the way, nice work!!! I can't wait for your new baby to come...I'm dying to meet him/her and to know who it is!!! Will is so cute too, isn't he? What a hard worker, he's all tuckered out! xoxo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures. Where are the wheels on Matt's car? Had they fallen off or are they underneath?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Mere- I love your comments everyone! Matt's car does have wheels, underneath! they are very cool and I'll update this blog with a pic of the wheels. His was the only one with invisible wheels!

    I have a pair of feet shoes too, so look out Kristin!

    Kjerstine, our kids really can sleep anywhere! I love that about our kids!

    Thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete